Recommendation to the Specialist Register
- Ensuring your ePortfolio contains the following documents, ideally in a new folder labelled “Completion” in your Personal Library
- An up to date CV (i.e. covering posts up to your CCT date).
- Evidence of having achieved specialty specific certificates (which certificates need to be shown can be found listed in your speciality curriculum) for example: valid ALS certificate that must still be valid on your CCT date, SCE certificate/pass letter, IRMER certificate etc.
- A completion date calculator (covering posts up to your CCT date): download here
- PYA/PYR/Interim Review ARCP documents for each speciality, in lieu of PYA
- If your CCT date has accerlatered, please attach the letter of your deanary confirming the accerlated CCT date (strongly recommended). Alternatively, if you cannot get the letter, you can upload the confirmation email from your deanary to confirm accerlated CCT date but a letter is highly recommended.
- Ensure a Penultimate Year Review (PYR)/PYA or Interim Review ARCP for all specialties is available on the ePortfolio in a clearly labelled folder in your Personal Library.
- Once you your final ARCP review has taken place, please ensure the ARCP form(s) on your ePortfolio has/have been completed correctly
- Ensure that an electronic signature is provided from your TPD and yourself (this can be done by selecting the “Links” option at the bottom of your ARCP report on the E-portfolio and selecting signature).
- Ensure the COT date listed on the form(s) is correct. If the form has already been finalised, your TPD can add a note to the bottom of the form stating the correct date.
- Ensure that all mandatory targets set during your PYR have been listed individually and shown to have been achieved. This should be listed as seen below
Target 1 (Mandatory): XXX – achieved
Target 2 (Mandatory): XXX – achieved
Target 3 (Mandatory): XXX – achieved
Target 4 (Mandatory): XXX – achieved
Target 5 (Mandatory): XXX – achieved
Please note: If this field cannot be edited, your TPD should add this information to the form as comment. Scroll to the bottom of the ARCP form, click the purple ‘Links’ button which will open a text box where this can be added.
Having received an Outcome 6 for all your specialties and reviewed the ePortfolio in regards to the points set out above, please email email@example.com to ensure we have notification of your completion of training. We will then review your ePortfolio before forwarding your application to the Speciality Advisory Committee (SAC) for their approval.
JRCPTB will then be responsible for the following:
- Reviewing the documents available on trainees ePortfolio and confirming they are to the standard outlined above
- Contacting the trainee or deanery/HEE local office to request any further information, if required
- Sending completed applications for completion of training to Specialist Advisory Committee(s) (SAC) for review and approval
- Contacting the trainee or deanery/HEE local office if further information is requested from the SAC as part of their review
- Once final approval has been received from the SAC(s), we will send a recommendation for entry onto the specialist register to the GMC
Your Deanery/HEE local office is responsible for the following:
- Ensuring your PYR takes place
- Ensuring your ARCP and PYR documentation are completed correctly
- Providing further information on queries raised during our completion of training quality checks
The Speciality Advisory Committee is responsible for the following:
- Reviewing the trainees documents from the perspective of a specialty consultant and providing final approval, if all documents are satisfactory
How long does the process take?
The length of the process varies depending on several factors, usually to do with a trainees training history. Completing the requests listed above and contacting us as soon as your ARCP outcome 6 form(s) are available on your ePortfolio will help reduce the processing time for your application. Please note it may still take 4-8 weeks to process.
For trainees with complicated training histories and who have to provide additional information, it can take 8 weeks or more. We will do our best to keep you updated if this is the case.
How can a trainee get an update on the status of their COT?
We will contact you at key stages of the process. If you haven’t heard from us and would like further information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 3075 1249.
Do I need to pay anything to complete training?
We do not charge a fee for the completion of training. However, it is expected that any enrolment or membership fees have been paid in full. If you believe you still have an amount outstanding or wish to check this has been paid, please contact email@example.com.
Please note, the GMC do charge an amount as part of their application process to the specialist register.