Specialist registration/completing training

Can I complete core medical training in less than 24 months?

As the core medical training curriculum is competency rather than time-based, there are certain circumstances in which it may be appropriate for a trainee to complete CMT in less than 24 months. 

Find out more.

Can the completion date for my specialty be different from the completion date for GIM?

As per the Gold Guide Section 6.34, dual training completion dates must be the same. There is no provision for identifying different dates for completion of training.

I actually completed training two months ago but my entry on the specialist register states today, why is this?

This is because either:

  • Your actual scheduled date of completion of training is today


  • There has been a delay in your completion and the GMC have entered you on to the specialist register at the point which they finalised the recommendation

Please note; JRCPTB cannot alter this final date.

Is it possible to acquire my CCT earlier than originally planned?

We have issued guidance for Specialist Advisory Committees on the process for recommending an earlier CCT date for trainees acquiring competencies more rapidly than anticipated.  This guidance should apply to all medical specialties supervised by JRCPTB but may be subject to variation depending on subsequent GMC advice.

PDF icon Early CCT advice for SACs Sept 2014.pdf


What posts are not approved for training?
  • Service posts - eg Locum Appointments for Service (LAS)
  • Clinical Fellow, Honorary or Trust posts that do not either carry GMC approval or form part of an Out of Programme Episode whilst in a numbered post - see the OOP page
What posts can count towards training?
  • All substantive numbered posts that make up a trainee's NTN.
  • Locum Appointment of Training (LAT) posts
  • Any post that carries GMC approval
When can I apply for consultant posts?

You can be interviewed for consultant positions six months prior to your completion date. This is referenced in latest version of the Gold Guide.

Out of programme

I would like to go OOP in my final year of training, is this possible?

Although it is possible if supported by the deanery/HEE local office, it is strongly recommended by the JRCPTB that trainees do not undertake any OOP episodes in their final year of training. In any event, a PYA must be undertaken first for each of your specialties and it is unlikely that credit towards training will be granted in full for OOP episodes in the final year of training.

I'm going on parental leave, what do I need to do?

Initially you will need to advise the deanery/HEE local office and JRCPTB of the date you intend to commence parental leave. On your return to clinical training you will need to fill out the completion date calculator with your date of return and if this will be on a full-time or less than full time basis and send to your deanery/HEE local office.

It has been approved by my deanery that I can go out of programme so what do I need to do next? How long will it take to process my OOP application?

If you want time out of programme (OOP) to count towards the award of a CCT or a CESR via the Combined Programme (CESR CP), the GMC must approve the post before it starts.

It is therefore essential that your request for training credit is submitted to JRCPTB for consideration at least 8 weeks prior to the start date. All OOP applications that request training credit must have approval by the relevant JRCPTB Specialist Advisory Committee (SAC) before the GMC can approve the post. Applications for OOP training credit that are submitted to us with less than 8 weeks notice will not be considered for training credit.

The application form is available on our website. See the Out of programme page for further information.

Penultimate year assessment

What documents do I need to supply for my PYA?

To ensure you benefit the most from the PYA, you must ensure the following is completed at least four weeks before the PYA event.

  1. Set up a new folder within your personal library on the ePortfolio called ‘(Specialty) PYA paperwork’  
  2. Ensure that the summarry of clinical experience (SOCE) form is completed and uploaded to the above folder.
  3. Ensure that an up to date CV is uploaded to the above folder.
  4. Ensure that your ePortfolio is up to date so that the assessor has the ability to check your progress to date.
  5. The assessor will complete an electronic PYA form which is located within the ‘PYA’ tab on your ePortfolio. Check this tab to ensure that the relevant PYA form is available.
What is the difference between my PYA and my ARCP?

The differences are subtle but significant:

Reviews trainee progress against that yearReviews trainee progress within whole programme
Compares regional/ home trainees data per yearCompares national information across regions and years
Can be done without the trainee presentCannot be done without the trainee present
Cannot review its own programme within the GMC requirements for quality assurance of trainingCan provide enough data to review programmes in line with GMC quality assurance requirements
Reviews trainee competencyReviews trainee confidence - provides trainee an opportunity to seek non-deanery opinion


What is the purpose of the PYA?

The PYA exists to ensure that trainees are meeting the standards set by the curriculum  through a meeting between the trainee and those responsible for writing the curriculum. It allows trainees to review their own progress with a representative of their specialty who is external from the local deanery and discuss their development against the entirety of the curriculum. It is also an opportunity to discuss future opportunities both for remaining training periods and with a view on post-training work.


I would like to count my LAT towards training, how do I do this?

On appointment to a specialty post with a national training number you must inform your Educational Supervisor that you wish to seek credit for a LAT.  Your application will be reviewed by your Training Programme Director and Educational Supervisor in accordance with the JRCPTB LAT policy.

Other training issues

I would like to drop a specialty from my dual training, how do I do this?

Any trainee wishing to drop a specialty from their dual specialty training programme must first obtain permission to do so from their training programme director or Postgraduate Dean.

Once agreed by the deanery, the information in the table below must be passed on to us so that an evaluation regarding reduced training time can be made.

Please note: Dropping GIM does not mean an automatic reduction of 12 months from your CCT date and needs to reflect the amount of GIM focused training already undertaken and outstanding competencies.

Example breakdown of specialty division:

Year of Training


(dd/mm/yy - dd/mm/yy)

Specialty/ GIM Ratio

Specialty Content months

GIM Content months

End of Year to drop GIM


08/07 - 08/08






08/08 - 08/09






08/09 - 08/10






08/10 - 08/11















**Point at which it was requested that GIM was dropped

In this example, if at end of ST6 a trainee wished to drop GIM, only 39 months of Specialty training has been completed out of an expected 48. This would mean that there could only be a reduction in total training time of 3 months as 9 months would be required to meet the minimum single specialty curriculum requirement training time.

Please complete the Ratio Grid form and return to the certification and trainee services manager for your specialty/deanery.

File Ratio grid GIM.docx


Can I get my training or certification verified?

All doctors, organisations and third parties seeking verification of certification or training must complete the relevant request form and submit it with appropriate payment to JRCPTB.

Individuals requiring verification must complete the individual verification request form.

File 2016 Individual verification request.docx

Third parties must complete the third party verification request form.

File Third party verification request.docx

Requests are charged at £10 per doctor requiring verification.

Individual requests from those who are current subscribing members of one of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow or the Royal College of Physicians of London are exempt from the £10 fee.

Please ensure all sections of the form are complete and the appropriate payment has been made.  Incomplete applications will not be processed.

Verifications will be sent within 28 days of submitting a complete application.

I am a trainee and would like to count my previous experience/ training, how do I do this?

As identified in the Certification section, this will depend on your current situation.

  1. If you have an NTN with a C suffix, you are deemed to be training towards a CCT and all training will have been in UK approved posts. If you wish to count previous experience that is not from UK approved posts towards your training, you will no longer be eligible for a CCT and must train towards a CESR CP. This must be arranged in consultation with your Training Programme Director and you will need to have your NTN amended to reflect that you are now training as a CESR(CP).  Any previous experience or credit must be granted before your first ARCP.
  2. If you have an NTN with an L suffix, you are deemed to be training towards a Combined Programme CESR (CESR(CP)). Any previous experience or training not already considered for counting towards the CESR CP must be submitted to your deanery, at the earliest opportunity  and noted at the first specialty training ARCP (ie ST3 ARCP). From this point, the deanery may make a recommendation for additional competencies against your curriculum to be considered by the JRCPTB. This should be done through your Training Programme Director in the first instance.


I would like to achieve sub-specialty recognition in Metabolic Medicine, how do I do this?

Metabolic Medicine is a sub-specialty of the specialties of GIM and of Chemical Pathology. If you are training in GIM and wish to undertake sub-specialty training in Metabolic Medicine, please first discuss with your training programme director and advise the appropriate JRCPTB contact. If you are training in Chemical Pathology as the parent specialty, please contact the Royal College of Pathologists in the first instance and they will advise.