Assessment FAQs

My current post details are wrong in ePortfolio, how can I correct them?

You can update your post details directly through your ePortfolio.  See our user guide and video for full instructions.

PDF icon Guidance to trainees on self-administration

How to video

I'm going on parental leave, what do I need to do?

Initially you will need to advise the deanery/HEE local office and JRCPTB of the date you intend to commence parental leave. On your return to clinical training you will need to fill out the completion date calculator with your date of return and if this will be on a full-time or less than full time basis and send to your deanery/HEE local office.

Is it possible to acquire my CCT earlier than originally planned?

We have issued guidance for Specialist Advisory Committees on the process for recommending an earlier CCT date for trainees acquiring competencies more rapidly than anticipated.  This guidance should apply to all medical specialties supervised by JRCPTB but may be subject to variation depending on subsequent GMC advice.

PDF icon Early CCT advice for SACs Sept 2014.pdf


What is the fee used for and what does the JRCPTB do for me?

The enrolment fee supports the costs of all JRCPTB's activities.

We oversee physician training in the UK on behalf of the three Royal Colleges and report to the General Medical Council. Our main responsibilities with regards to trainees are to:

  • Co-ordinate national recruitment for 19 specialties and CMT
  • Provide and continuously develop services including the ePortfolio
  • Write and update each of the 30+ core and specialty training curricula
  • Offer advice on qualification and career progression
  • Provide external assessors for ARCP and PYA panels
  • Work with deaneries/LETBs and the GMC on quality managing training programmes
  • Approve any variations to a training programme for an individual trainee such as research or overseas training. This approval is a required step if the post is to count towards a CCT
  • Provide adequate evidence to allow the GMC to agree to issue a CCT or CESR and add the trainee to the Specialist Register

We are entirely funded by the enrolment fees we collect from trainees. See the about us section for further information.

Who enters information into the ePortfolio?

The trainee must take personal responsibility for the main parts of the ePortfolio and should complete most of the data entry, eg:

  1. Declarations and agreements
  2. Self assessment
  3. Personal development plan
  4. Initial appraisal meeting forms with advice at the meeting from the educational supervisor
  5. Mid-point appraisal
  6. All elements of personal reflective practice

It is the trainees' responsibility to arrange for their workplace assessments and to ensure that the assessments are completed. The supervisor should maintain the record of curriculum competencies throughout an attachment and write the end of attachment appraisal and supervisor's report. Remember that supervisors do not have to conduct the majority of assessments for their trainees.

The name of my current supervisor is incorrect, how can I correct it?

Contact your local administrator, who will be able to correct this for you. See the deanery contact list to find out the contact details for your local administrator.

PDF icon Deanery contact list.pdf

I would like to achieve sub-specialty recognition in Metabolic Medicine, how do I do this?

Metabolic Medicine is a sub-specialty of the specialties of GIM and of Chemical Pathology. If you are training in GIM and wish to undertake sub-specialty training in Metabolic Medicine, please first discuss with your training programme director and advise the appropriate JRCPTB contact. If you are training in Chemical Pathology as the parent specialty, please contact the Royal College of Pathologists in the first instance and they will advise.

How do I apply for a transfer to another region?

The National Inter Deanery Transfer (IDT) process has been put in place to support medical trainees who have had an unforeseen and significant change in circumstances since commencement of their current training programme and need to move from one region to another.

The process is managed by the National IDT team (Health Education South London) on behalf of the Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans (COPMeD), Health Education England (HEE) and all UK regions. If you are planning to apply for an IDT process please visit the HEE website for guidance. 


I am a Less Than Full Time Trainee, when should my PYA take place?

It should take place 12-18 months prior to your expected training completion date and your progress so far will be reviewed against your curriculum.  This period IS NOT pro rata for Less Than Full Time Trainees who will also be required to undergo their PYA 12-18 months prior to completion, regardless of the number of sessions worked per week. The PYA will then identify outstanding targets to ensure the requirements of the curriculum are met in full.

If for any reason the final CCT date is more than 24 months after PYA then you must have a second PYA and it must be in line with the current curriculum.


What should I use the messaging system for?

The messaging system is used to communicate with users regarding support queries. The ePortfolio messaging system is also an optional tool for sending messages to other users of the ePortfolio, e.g. trainees, assessors and administrators.