Introduction to the ePortfolio
The ePortfolio is a central web-based tool that allows trainees to log all evidence of their experience, competences and courses for their entire medical training period.
All trainees on Core Medical Training (CMT) and Acute Care Common Stem (ACCS Acute Medicine) programmes can use the JRCPTB ePortfolio. Specialty trainees (StRs and ST3+) can also now access the ePortfolio and it has been developed to include all specialty specific curricula and assessments.
It is primarily the trainee's responsibility to enter information into the JRCPTB ePortfolio but supervisors also have access to shared parts of the portfolio and have a responsibility to record appraisal outcomes and sign off the record of competence.
From August 2011 local administrators will be able to set up trainees on ePortfolio, however trainees will have 30 days to complete their enrolment with JRCPTB. Failing to complete enrolment may result in the trainee losing ePortfolio access until this has been done.
What is the ePortfolio team and what is its purpose?
The purpose of the team is to provide support to all its users, including technical problems, with regards to the following areas:
- Supervisors' reports
- Reflective practices
- Confirmation of ePortfolio account
- Confirmation of Enrolment on ePortfolio
- SAS doctors' access
In addition to this, the team is involved with the development of the ePortfolio and making changes to enhance its useability and functionality.
If you are a trainee and would like access to the ePortfolio you will be granted this on completion of your enrolment with JRCPTB. For further information please see Enrolment or call 0203 075 1283 to find out your enrolment status.
All queries should be directed to your local deanery/LETB, postgraduate centre or trust administrators. JRCPTB ePortfolio team will be supporting the admin staff across the UK with technical problems that cannot be resolved locally.
A number of changes to the ePortfolio were introduced for all UK trainee physicians from August 2012. Many more updates are planned to make the ePortfolio quicker and more eay to use. We will keep you updated on these changes as and when they happen.
For 2012, the following changes were implemented:
- The ACAT, CbD and MiniCEX assessment forms have been revised to include free text comments boxes, replacing the former tick boxes, to improve the quality and quantity of feedback given.
- The DOPS assessment process has been revised to include both formative and summative sign off for procedures and the form on ePortfolio has been split to support these changes.
- An improved educational supervisor's form which has been revised to give ESs the opportunity to comment on wider aspects of the trainee's progression such as their clinical activity relevant to the trainees stage of training, their participation in out-patient and in-patient clinics, and their procedural skills.
- Some of the 2010 versions of the specialty curricula have been updated. Also the 2009 versions of the CMT, GIM and AIM curricula have been updated. All of these changes have been reflected on the ePortfolio. Please visit the individual specialty pages.
- A new academic supervisor report form - only for use by academic trainees and OOPR trainees prior to ARCP
- Academic checklists are now available in the curriculum section of the ePortfolio - further instructions on ePortfolio use by academic trainees are available on the academic trainees page of the JRCPTB website.
- The JRCPTB launched a pilot on 1 August 2012 to test a revised assessment system. Trainees in three deaneries/LETBs (East Midlands North, Northern and Wales) and ten specialties (Acute Internal Medicine, Core Medical Training, Clinical Genetics, Clinical Neurophysiology, General Internal Medicine, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatrics, Infectious Diseases, Neurology, and Palliative Medicine) are taking part and they will have access to the pilot assessment form on the ePortfolio. Further information on the pilot is available in the WPBA pilot 2012 section of our website.
How to contact the ePortfolio Team
Monday - Thursday 10.00 am - 16.00 pm
Friday - 10.00 am - 14.00 pm
ePortfolio helpline: 0203 075 1440
JRCTPB ePortfolio website
Page updated 20 August 2012